Wood has many uses, from furniture to hoboken floors, but that’s not where it ends. Wood fencing has become the typical material on many American homes for a variety of reasons.
Depending on what you are looking for in fence, wood has a lot to recommend it over other fencing materials like or vinyl but using wood may not be the best choice.
It is a helpful necessity to seriously consider the pros and cons of different materials before purchasing and installing any fence.
You have to consider that the fence you may have installed around your house and yard will stay for a very long time thus, aside from the beauty it will provide and accentuate your home, it will be sturdy enough to stand the test of time.
Let’s tackle the advantages and disadvantages of wood fence. These factors can be different depending on the weather condition and other factors of the area where you reside.
Advantages of wood fencing
- The versatility of wood material is incomparable. There are so many choices for various woods that comes in different shades (light to dark) that can be used in the construction of fences. If you prefer to change the color of your fence once in a while, boards can easily be painted any color. You can easily handle wood fences as it can be formed into different designs and heights.
- Wood is very attractive when utilized to build fences although it is not the most notable building material.
- For the DIY project, wood fencing is the best option as it is easy to manage over materials like heavy wrought iron and you need a partner when moving and installing it around.
- Compared to other materials, wood fencing is cheaper. Fencing material like vinyl or aluminum is pricey compared to high-quality cedar boards.
Disadvantages of wood fencing
- Maintenance of wood fences may be complex. Rot is the usual problem especially in areas where the weather condition is humid or prone to rain and snow. It is essential to check wood fence yearly and application of water-resistant sealant on a regular basis to counteract this scenario.
- Wood fences can invite termites in a worst-case scenario. The termites may spread to your home or other structures on your area as these destructive insects will not only harm or ruin the fence itself.
- The boards may descend into the ground over time, distorting the fence but this will depend on the type of soil your fence is erected on. Installation of an underground concrete base for the fence will prevent the problem in areas where this is a problem.